Not only do rugs bring pattern, color, and character to your home, but they make everything more cozy! There’s nothing like having a soft place to walk on to bring the room together.
The tricky part is knowing how big of a rug you need, and where to place it! I’m sharing my basic rug placement guide today, whether you’re looking for an area rug for your dining room or bedroom, or if you want to layer with different rugs or keep it simple, this guide has all the answers to your rug questions!
Consider Your Style
A good place to start is by taking stock of the room and thinking through your style preference. What kind of flooring is in place? What style is the existing furniture? What colors are already at play? After you’ve evaluated your space, browse a few rugs online and take note of what you’re most drawn to. Do you prefer something more subtle and neutral or do you find yourself interested in the bold, colorful options? If your room is already full of color and pattern, consider a rug that’s neutral and will complement your space rather than distract from it. If you’re working with a more muted room that is full of clean lines and neutral colours, a rug that’s rich in colour or pattern will help ground the room and give some depth to the overall design.
Consider Your Space
With so many different sizes and shapes of rugs that are available, it can be difficult to instinctively know exactly what your room needs, especially when you add furniture placement to the equation. Take a look at the rug size and placement guide below to help you get the look you want in your space. Keep in mind that an area rug, which is a large rug that covers the majority of floor space in a room, should fit under every key furniture piece in the room, including the sofa, armchairs, side tables and coffee table.
Consider Your Lifestyle
To get the most life out of your rug, you want to consider the room it’s going to be placed in and what its primary function is. Here’s a quick breakdown of the types of rugs that will best complement the different spaces in a home.
- Always make sure the front legs of the furniture is on the rug
- The rug should have at least 6” on each side of the furniture
- Typical sizes are 8×10, 9×12, 10×14
- Make sure all dining chairs are on the rug around the entire table
- Make sure the rug extends the table at least 8” on each side
- Leave at least 1 foot of floor around the perimeter of the room
- Typical sizes are 6×9, 8×10, 9×12
- Make sure your rug doesn’t extend the nightstands
- Make sure the rug has at least 8” of space on the sides of the bed
- Typical rug size for a Queen bed is 8×10
- Leave at least 8” of space from the nightstands to the beginning of the rug
- Make sure the rug extends the bed by at least 1 foot
- Typical rug size for a King bed is 9×12
Are you a fan of rugs in your home ?